El Calvario Hermitage

The hermitage of El Calvario is situated on a hill known as “Cerro del Mentidero”. Here a memorial to the rebels’ punishment was built by king Pedro “the Cruel”, this monument was later demolished by his brother and successor Enrique. And in the same place, he built a hermitage with the name of Nuestra Señora del Calvario, which over the grave had two sculptures: Jesus and Dolorosa.

Imagen de la ermita de mediados del siglo XX

Imagen de la ermita de mediados del siglo XX

A brotherhood, that was in charge of the procession of Santo Entierro, was established here. In 1798 the goods of the brotherhood and the hermitage were sold by a law imposed by Carlos IV. In 1804 it was used as a meeting place to combat yellow fever. But little later it must have ruined, because in 1807 a new building was started to be raised thanks to charity fundings. The Independence War started and these works were paralyzed for 24 years. On January the 2nd, 1831, the local government engaged people to restart the work, and created a funding commission to collect money, but the Civil War began and these works were stopped again, till 1837 that were resumed and completed in 1843 by charity funds. From then, the hermitage has the appearance we know nowadays.

Ermita del Calvario

Since 1976 the hermitage hosts the brotherhood of Santísimo Cristo de la Humildad and every year, on Holy Thursday, they walk in procession the carvings accompanied by the nazarenes in penance and a music band composed mostly of bugles and drums.

Imágenes que se encuentran en la ermita del Calvario

Imágenes que se encuentran en la ermita del Calvario

Virtual Visit

Sources
La Rambla Cofradiera

Esta entrada también está disponible en: French, Spanish

Leave a Reply